The Tennessee Department of Education has announced regional finalists for the annual Principal of the Year and Supervisor of the Year awards.
These nine principals, chosen from among more than 1,700 across the state, as well as the nine supervisors, each with years of experience in Tennessee Education, were nominated by their peers for the state-level honors, which recognize administrators who have improved education for Tennessee students through their leadership.
“Principals and supervisors work to create better environments for teaching and learning in our schools,” said Education Commissioner Kevin Huffman. “This year’s nominees share the department’s commitment to raising standards for students and have lived out that goal with their innovative programs and strong visions.”
Principal of the Year regional finalists for 2012-13:
- First Tennessee: Jeff Moorhouse, Morristown West High School, Hamblen County Schools
- East Tennessee: Tom Brown, Holston Middle School, Knox County Schools
- Southeast: Carol Goss, Tyner Academy, Hamilton County Schools
- Upper Cumberland: Brad Schreiner, Merrol Hyde Magnet School, Sumner County Schools
- South Central: Sandy Schultz, Broadview Elementary School, Franklin County Schools
- Mid Cumberland: Jane Winter, Minglewood Elementary School, Clarksville/Montgomery County Schools
- Northwest: Donald Ray High, Sharon School, Weakley County Schools
- Southwest: Lori Leasure, Pin Oak Elementary School, Henderson County Schools
- Memphis/Shelby: Frederick Malone, Bellevue Middle School, Memphis City Schools