Bartlet BBQ Restaurant Catches Fire, Customers Show Support

Bartlet BBQ Restaurant Catches Fire, Customers Show Support

Customers have been flocking to Moma's BBQ off Stage Road for more than 30 years. Wednesday they came in droves after hearing the bad news. Their support is what's helping owners get through the day.
BARTLETT, TN (localmemphis.com) - A Bartlett staple is out of commission tonight after an early morning fire brought business to an abrupt halt.

Customers have been flocking to Moma's BBQ off Stage Road for more than 30 years.

Wednesday they came in droves after hearing the bad news. Their support is what's helping owners get through the day.

From the outside, the restaurant looks just fine. All the damage is inside.

"This is our breakfast place. We just came to check on the guys and make sure they're okay," says Marilyn Moseley.

She brought a car full of coworkers who love to eat there. "It's like family when you come here."

"We just had so many people in the community come out and check on us," says co-owner Kenny Geiger.

The restaurant's fryer went up in flames around 4:30 in the morning. The fire quickly spread, damaging the building, but luckily not injuring any employees.

"It ended up getting into the roof," Geiger says. "We had a pretty good fire."

"We didn't know it was this bad," says Sue Butler. "It's worse than we thought."

The tables are set, but customers won't be eating at them anytime soon. Burned out insulation is dropping from the ceiling. Smoke and water damage is everywhere.

"In 31 years we never experienced any kind of fire or anything like this," Geiger says. "Me and (co-owner) Danny (Blanton) have a creedo. It ain't your problem, it's how you deal with it."

"It's one of the best places to eat in Bartlett," says Butler. "We're going to miss it, we sure are."

Owners think it will take three to four months to clean up and reopen.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus