Fire Breaks Out at Broad Ave. Business, Boarding House

Fire Breaks Out at Broad Ave. Business, Boarding House

Memphis firefighters battled a blaze at a Binghampton boarding house and business Monday night.
MEMPHIS, TN (abc24.com) - Memphis firefighters battled a blaze at a Binghampton boarding house and business Monday night.

The fire broke out on the 2500-block of Broad Avenue around 6 p.m. on Monday, January 28.

Memphis Fire Director Alvin Benson says Jim's Upholstery was on the first floor, and a half dozen people lived in the boarding house on the second floor.

James Henderson, a resident at the boarding house, told abc24.com, "We got outside, by the time we got back in there to get something out of there, the smoke was too thick - couldn't get in there."

"A pretty nice size fire is what we have; when crews arrived they saw fire coming through the roof, smoke, a very, very hot fire," Director Benson stated at the scene.

Investigators say a portable electric heater placed near some combustible materials in a bedroom on the second floor caused the fire.

The Red Cross provided assistance for six displaced adults.

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus