Local Good News: Harold Byrd's Fight To Raise Cancer Awareness

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (localmemphis.com) - Most people know him as the president of a local bank or a former member of the Tennessee House of Representatives. We also know Harold Byrd loves sports. But, he's also a survivor, a cancer survivor. And, his willingness to help others through the potentially deadly disease is local good news.

 

If you love Memphis football, any Memphis athletics really, then no doubt you've seen this man. You could say Harold Byrd is a lifelong cheerleader for the University of Memphis.

 

"Any measure of success I or my brothers or sisters had was due to the fact that my parents sacrificed and said 'You are going to college. You are going to get an education'. So my years at the University of Memphis which was Memphis State was some of the happiest times of my life," said Bank of Bartlett President Harold Byrd.

 

Byrd is also a cheerleader of life, literally. Even when he was diagnosed with colon cancer nine years ago, he cheered for survival. And, he relived the day he got the news.

 

"We think you have a 70 to 75% chance of winning. And, I didn't hear the 20 to 25%. I heard the 70 to 75, and I said man I can do this," said Byrd.

 

It was a surprise diagnosis. Byrd said he thought he did everything right.

 

"I've always tried to work out, eat right and do things in moderation, but you know cancer doesn't respect any of that," said Byrd.

 

He took a psychological hit. But, through it all, he kept smiling and he kept pushing. And now, he is joining forces with the American Cancer Society and Making Strides Against Breast Cancer to encourage others who may be battling cancer.

 

"I have won, and I want other people to fight like me and win," said Byrd. "I've had the blessings of good healthcare. I've had the blessings of an education. I've had the blessings of a loving family, so I have a lot to smile about."

 

And that's local good news.

 


More Stories

Don't Miss

  • Find It
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Enter to Win a Midland Weather Radio!
  • Win Tickets to See the RiverKings
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Follow Us
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Featured Employers
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Latest News