MEMPHIS, TN (abc24.com) - Four families need a new place to live after a fire destroyed their homes.
The fire broke out at the Sycamore Lake Apartments just after midnight on January 13, 2012. It happened in the 2200-block of Sesame Street. A resident smelled smoke and called 9-1-1.
According to Lt. Wayne Cooke with the Memphis Fire Department, "when we arrived on the scene there was heavy fire coming from the two story apartments. Our firefighting and rescue operations began immediately."
Fire crews knocked down the fire in less than 15 minutes, and no one was hurt.
The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical malfunction on one of the unit's balconies.
The Red Cross was called in to assist the families.