House Fire Raging, Neighbor Works to Free Elderly Woman

House Fire Raging, Neighbor Works to Free Elderly Woman

With smoke blowing in his face, Tony Dough knew he had to act.
MEMPHIS, TN (localmemphis.com) - With smoke blowing in his face, Tony Dough knew he had to act.

Dough says he could hear his elderly neighbor crying for help as her home became consumed with flames. The fire broke out just after 10:30 p.m. on the 2900-block of Yale Avenue in midtown Thursday night.

"I heard the lady say get me out," Dough said. "I didn't know what to do, I was just acting on impulse."

Dough says he tried to get in through the front door but couldn't. He then noticed the windows had bars on them. He says he quickly moved to Plan B. He used a crowbar to break windows in the home, allowing the smoke to escape.

"Bars, bars on windows can help, or they can hurt," he said.

Dough says fire fighters rushed to the scene, so he got out of the way.

Family members say Kate Smith, a longtime nurse, was home alone when the fire started. Firefighters found her on the floor of her living room. She was rushed to The MED in critical condition.

"If it wasn't for them she wouldn't be alive," said Jasmine Freeman, Smith's niece.

Freeman says the home was a family gathering spot, a place where family members met for holidays.

"Everybody, problems, anything, this is the house, so to see it how it is now, it looks totally different," Freeman said.

Fire investigators say it appears the fire was sparked by a malfunctioning air conditioner in the living room. They estimated the cost of damage at least $14,000.

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus