Mother, 7 Year Old Son Badly Burned in Whitehaven House Fire

Mother, 7 Year Old Son Badly Burned in Whitehaven House Fire

The family's home went up in flames around three o'clock Friday morning. Everyone inside was sleeping. The house did not have electricity. Firefighters think the family fell asleep leaving a candle lit.
WHITEHAVEN -- No working smoke detectors and no electricity. It was a devastating combination for a Whitehaven family whose home burned early Friday morning.

A seven year old boy is in critical condition with second degree burns to his hands and face. His mother was taken to The MED for smoke inhalation and second degree burns on her arms. As bad as that is, neighbors are grateful the fire wasn't deadly.

The family's home went up in flames around three o'clock Friday morning. Everyone inside was sleeping. The house did not have electricity. Firefighters think the family fell asleep leaving a candle lit.

"When I woke up this morning everything was out here," neighbor Eugene Norman says.

Damaged belongings are bulging out of the burned home on Cavalier Drive. It was torn apart as firefighters put out the flames that badly burned the family living there.

"They had some candles lit. The utilities were out. I assume they went to sleep with the candles lit," says landlord Marvin Hill.

The utilities were just shut off Monday. According to MLGW records, the family owed over a thousand dollars. Almost seven hundred dollars was past due.

Norman didn't know his neighbors were having problems paying bills. "I didn't even know the electricity was off."

Firefighters say the family was sleeping when a candle left unattended in the back bedroom started the fire.

The mother suffered burns and smoke inhalation. Her seven year old son was injured the worst with second degree burns..

"We were praying nobody got injured, but they did," Hill says. "I'm just thankful nobody died, especially with the young child involved, only seven years old."

"I feel for them," says neighbor Jimmie Jackson. "I feel for them, yes I do."

The American Red Cross is helping the family out tonight.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus