Firefighters: Don't plug space heaters into power strips

Strips not designed to handle current flow

When it gets cold outside this winter, make sure not to plug your space heater into a power strip.

Fire officials warn that such setup is a fire hazard, CBS News reported.

"You should never plug a heater into a power strip," Umatilla County Fire District #1 in Hermiston, Oregon, warned. "These units are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow."

A second warning came after a house fire was caused by a space heater, CBS said. The heater ignited a sofa, authorities said.

The flames erupted after the heater ignited a sofa. 

"If you are operating them make sure you're operating them in a safe manner," Sterling Rahe, public information officer with the Toledo Fire Department, told a CBS affiliate. "Make sure there's a space at least a minimum of three feet around that space heater."

Heating elements can get up to 500 to 600 degrees, firefighters said. It should always be plugged directly into the wall.

"A lot of these fires, kind of have a common theme," said Rahe. "Things were left unattended."


More Stories

Don't Miss

  • Find It
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Win Tickets to See the RiverKings
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Enter to Win a Party Bike Tour!
  • You Could Get Your Mortgage Paid for a Year!
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Follow Us
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Latest News