MEMPHIS, Tenn. — After nearly two years and $60 million spent on renovating Memphis' Tom Lee Park, the city is less than a month away from opening up the park to residents on September 2. To celebrate the day, Memphis will host a series of events for the whole family.
Friday, Memphis Tigers Head Coach Penny Hardaway broke in the new court by making the first basket on the new basketball court. The new technicolor court is in the heart of Tom Lee Park.
Here's a full list of everything happening at Tom Lee Park on September 2, an event the City of Memphis calls "Day One:"
From 11:00 AM - Celebrate the opening of Tom Lee Park:
- 11:00 AM - Gather at the top of the Carlisle Cutbank Bluff (where Vance Ave meets the Bluffwalk) to join a celebratory parade down the bluff.
- 12:00 PM - Watch the formal ribbon cutting at AutoZone Plaza.
- 12:30 PM - Join an interfaith blessing of the park led by Church Health.
From 1:00 PM - Free park programs, activities, and experiences:
- Kids can enjoy free face-painting and temporary tattoos in the playground.
- Guided walking or nature tours.
- Day One photo opportunity.
- Basketball skills games at the Sunset Canopy
- Guided workouts at the Fitness Zone.
- Get zen and join a yoga class at Sunset Canopy. Hip-hop yoga will also be offered.
- Remember schoolyard days with Double Dutch at Sunset Canopy.
- Learn about the stories, myths, and creatures of the Mississippi at Riverfront Storytime.
- Learn to juggle and hula hoop from professional circus performers.
- Hourly toasts of a signature Day One drink.
- Dancing led by the experts.
- Memphis music from Garry Goin and friends.
- All Day - 4 on 4 Grass Volleyball Tournament by 901 Volleyball. Registration is available HERE.
- 5:00 PM - The MP3 Experiment: a massive participatory social experiment produced for the first time in Memphis.
- 6:00 PM - An acapella performance led by Theaster Gates at his new sculpture A Monument to Listening.
For more information and to get free tickets, visit HERE.