Breaking News
More () »

Memphis News & Weather | Memphis, TN | WATN - localmemphis.com

Man indicted for murder in shooting that killed one man and injured 15-year-old girl

Investigators say Curdarreion Wilson was bitten by a K9 while trying to escape when he was captured back in April.
Credit: Shelby County Jail

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — UPDATE 9/10/2020 - A 25-year-old man was indicted Wednesday in the shooting death of a man during an argument and the wounding a young bystander earlier this year outside an Orange Mound convenience store, said Shelby County Dist. Atty. Gen. Amy Weirich.

A grand jury indicted Curdarreion Wilson on charges of second-degree murder, attempted second-degree murder, aggravated assault, employment of a firearm in the commission of a dangerous felony, and convicted felon in possession of a firearm.

The shootings occurred around 11:40 p.m. on April 6 in the 2400 block of Park Avenue where Raymond Howard was found on the sidewalk with multiple gunshot wounds. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 15-year-old girl who suffered a grazing gunshot wound to the forehead was treated at a hospital.

Wilson was developed as a suspect and was arrested 10 days later following a traffic stop in the 3200 block of South Third. He fled from police, tossed a weapon into a dumpster as he ran by, but was eventually caught hiding under a nearby house on East Belle Haven Road.


4/17/2020 - Curdarreion Wilson’s time on the run was cut short by the U.S. Marshals Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force and the Multi Agency Gang Unit.

On April 6, 2020 Raymond Howard was shot to death at the 2400 block of Park Avenue in Memphis TN. Memphis Police soon developed information that Wilson had committed the crime.

Wilson already had warrants for his arrest for Attempted 2nd Degree Murder, Aggravated Assault, and Possession of a Firearm. He had already evaded arrest by authorities through flight on three previous occasions. Intelligence had been gathered that he was asserting that he would not hesitate to use violence against law enforcement, and that he could not be found or caught.

Yesterday, April 16, investigators with the U.S. Marshals Task Force and the Multi Agency gang unit observed Wilson get into a car in a parking lot on the 3200 block of Third Street. When the car attempted to flee, Task Force officers made contact with their cars on the suspect vehicle to insure it did not escape. Wilson fled on foot, disposing of a handgun which was later recovered in a dumpster, with investigators in pursuit.

Visuals were lost on the suspect, so Task Force K9 named Echo was deployed. Echo tracked Wilson to an abandoned house with a crawl space at the 70 block of Belle Haven. Echo entered the crawl space and administered bites to Wilson. At this point the fugitive became compliant and exited the crawl space, surrendering without further incident.

Wilson received medical care for his non critical wounds.

The driver of the vehicle was Clayton Bratcher. Two more handguns were found in his vehicle. He was taken to the Shelby County Detention Center and charged with Unlawful Possession of a Weapon.

In addition the charges for which he had warrants, Wilson is being charged with 2nd Degree Murder.

“Violent and evasive fugitives pose a challenge to law enforcement,” commented Jeffrey Holt, U.S. Marshal for the Western District of Tennessee. “It is a challenge that the U.S. Marshals will always answer.”