MEMPHIS, Tenn — A mental evaluation has been ordered for an 18-year-old charged in a deadly shooting caught on camera in July, as well as in several different crimes, according to court records.
Justin Blue is currently in the Shelby County Jail on $5,660,000 bond. $2,200,000 of that is for a first-degree murder charge, with the rest for a long list of other charges which include aggravated assault, auto burglary, theft, and weapons. A violation of probation charge was also added on Aug. 23, and drug and theft charges were added Sept. 1, according to jail records.
According to the police affidavit on the murder charge, Justin Blue admitted to being one of three suspects caught on camera in a shooting just before 2 p.m. on Sunday, July 23, 2023, in the 900 block of N. McNeil near Vollintine Ave.
MPD said responding officers to that scene found D’Aaron Gordon shot in the head, He was taken to Regional One Hospital, where he died from his injuries. Investigators said a CrimeStoppers tip led them to Blue as a suspect.
Blue was arrested on Aug. 18, 2023, on unrelated arrest warrants. According to the affidavit, he admitted to being one of those shooters on July 23, signing a photo of the suspect with a black mask, unzipped hoodie, white shirt, and gray jeans with “That is me.”
Blue is also charged with several counts of auto burglary and theft in a series of car break-ins in June. According to the affidavit for those crimes, Blue admitted to stealing a 2018 Dodge Durango from CarMax on Hwy. 64 on June 19, 2023. The affidavit said Blue admitted to car burglaries and thefts at Clark Tower, Best Buy on Poplar Ave., Season 52 on Poplar, that same day, one of which had a box of ammunition taken, and to car burglaries at Crunch Fitness on June 20.
Blue also faces charges of aggravated assault, vandalism, reckless endangerment, and unlawful possession of a weapon for a shooting at the Tiger Mart in the 1100 block of Jackson Ave. about 1 a.m. on July 11, 2023. According to that affidavit, several witnesses told investigators they were at a gas pump when four people began firing shots at the pump next to them. One woman was struck in the hand and several vehicles were hit. MPD said they recovered more than 50 shell casings from that scene, and video showed the suspects firing the shots. According to the affidavit, tips led them to identify three of the suspects, including Blue. That affidavit did not state whether Blue admitted to that shooting.
MPD release more on charges against Blue
On Aug. 30, MPD posted on Facebook even more information about the charges Blue is facing and the crimes of which he is accused.
- On June 17, 2023, at 2:33 a.m., officers responded to an auto theft at CarMax at 7771 Highway 64. Officers were advised that while the victim was at work, his black Dodge Durango vehicle was stolen from the parking lot.
- On June 19, 2023, at 4:13 p.m., officers responded to an auto burglary at 5100 Poplar Avenue at Clark Tower. Officers were advised that two vehicles were broken into. The suspects fled in a black Dodge Durango.
- At 8:21 p.m., officers responded to multiple auto burglaries at 6085 Poplar Avenue at Seasons 52. Officers were advised that six vehicles were broken into, and property was taken from several of them. The suspects fled in a black Dodge Durango.
- On June 21, 2023, at 12:58 a.m., officers responded to multiple auto burglaries at 1635 Germantown Parkway at Crunch Fitness. Officers were advised that seven vehicles were broken into. Property was taken from some of the vehicles. The suspects fled in a black Dodge Durango and a silver Infiniti.
- At 4:20 p.m., officers received information that the Dodge Durango was in the 800 Block of Crockett. Officers made the area and observed a male flee on foot from the Dodge. The male, Deario Wilkerson, was taken into custody, but the vehicle fled.
- At 5:53 p.m., officers responded to an armed party call in the area of Joseph Place. The caller advised two armed males were running through backyards. Officers checked the area. They were unable to locate the suspects but located the Dodge at Keel Road and Joseph Place.
- On July 11, 2023, at 1:07 a.m., officers responded to an aggravated assault at 1192 Jackson Avenue at Tiger Mart. Officers located a female victim who was injured and transported to Regional One non-critical. Several other people in the parking lot in the line of fire were not injured. The suspects were occupying black vehicles.
- On July 23, 2023, at 1:55 p.m., officers responded to a shooting in the 900 block of McNeil Street. Officers located a male who had been shot and was unresponsive. The male was transported to Regional One Hospital in critical condition and was later pronounced deceased.
- During these investigations, media releases that contained videos and photos were released. Justin Blue was identified as one of the suspects in all of the cases listed.
- On July 24, 2023, MGU discovered that one of the guns possessed by Blue on August 18, 2023, during his arrest, was stolen during an auto burglary on February 26, 2023.