(TNACHIEVES NEWS RELEASE) – With a record number ofTennessee students applying for TN Promise, tnAchieves, the partneringorganization that administers the TN Promise locally, needs 2,600 additionalvolunteer mentors to ensure each student has a local support system.
This year more than 63,000 students applied for TN Promise!Each applicant is paired with a volunteer mentor that spends one hour per monthhelping ease the transition from high school to college. Mentors remindstudents of important deadlines, serve as a trusted college resource andencourage students to reach their potential.
ShelbyCounty has fallen behind and still needs 595 more mentors to meet our goal of1,223! Other West Tennessee counties still have mentor needs, as well:
- Carroll: 31 more to meet our goal of 48
- Chester: 11 more to meet our goal of 34
- Crockett: 14 more to meet our goal of 32
- Dyer: 31 more to meet our goal of 72
- Gibson: 81 more to meet our goal of 99
- Hardeman 34 more to meet our goal of 41
- Hardin: 24 more to meet our goal of 45
- Henry: 17 more to meet our goal of 46
- Lauderdale: 13 more to meet our goal of 43
- Madison: 39 more to meet our goal of 127
- McNairy: 18 more to meet our goal of 46
- Tipton: 56 more to meet our goal of 133
- Wayne: 14 more to meet our goal of 25
Meeting this goal ensures all local TN Promise students have a support system. To get started, complete an application by December 6 at tnAchieves.org/mentors/apply!
“Many TN Promise students are intimidated by the college-goingprocess,” said tnAchieves Executive Director Krissy DeAlejandro. “Mentorsprovide the nudges and encouragement our students often need to be successful.If you have one spare hour per month, please consider serving as a mentor. Itis a small commitment that can have a big impact on a student’s life.”
tnAchieves trains all mentors, provides them with a handbook and sends weekly updates to ensure that the mentor is armed with the tools necessary to work with their students. Interested volunteers can learn more by watching a brief message by clicking here.
tnAchieves is a privately-funded scholarship and mentoringprogram that seeks to provide an opportunity for every Tennessee student toearn a post-secondary degree.
If you have questions about the tnAchieves mentoringprogram, please email Graham Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org.