MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Get ready for 30-days of African American music appreciation month this June.
W.C. Handy Memphis Home and Museum and "16 Bars Entertainment" announced the "From Memphis to the World" music appreciation month. Every weekend this month will be devoted to a different theme, with the third week dedicated to supporting several Juneteenth events.
Tuesday, the Museum introduced several artists who will release music. The celebration leads up to the big reveal of the music label's release launch party at the end of the month.
“From Memphis To The World” Calendar Of Events
Friday, June 4th - 6PM-8PM
- 16 Bars Southern Soul Artist The Marqee of Soul
- African American Music Month Kickoff Performance
Saturday, June 12th
- Ekpe Abioto’s Black on Black Love Book Fair
- Books, Music & Food (Trucks, that is!)
- 11AM-2PM - Dr. Larry Moore (“Images Of Beale Street”), Gemi Treadwell (“Beale Street Poetry”), Independent Publisher George Grant will be presenting a preview of his new book “Beale Street Unforgotten”, set for release June 17th. Plus, Gospel-Jazz Saxophonist Cookie Drake.
Saturday, June 19th
- 16 Bars Supports Juneteenth Celebrations
- @ Slave Haven Underground Railroad Museum & Others
Friday, June 25th
- 16 Bars Day In Memphis
- “From Memphis To The World” New Music Showcase
- Press Conference Luncheon w/Chi-Kairo
- Facebook Live Tour of City’s Music History
- Livestream Label Release Party/Website Launch & Venue -TBA