(SHELBY COUNTY HEALTH DEPT. NEWS RELEASE) – On Monday, September23, 2019, the Shelby County Health Department will begin offering influenzavaccine at the Immunization Clinic at 814 Jefferson and at all six publichealth clinics located around Shelby County.
Influenza can cause serious illness and even death among personswho are otherwise healthy. Each year, tens of thousands of deaths areattributed to influenza. There were an estimated 80,000 deaths in the UnitedStates last flu season, and 160 deaths due to flu in Tennessee during the2018-2019 flu season.
Vaccination against the influenza virus is recommended for anyoneover the age of 6 months. Everyone is at risk, especially during influenzaseason, which usually runs from October to May each year, with the most casesin our region usually reported in February.
Certain groups of people are especially vulnerable to influenzaand are strongly advised to get the vaccine:
- Children younger than 5 years of age –especially those younger than 2 years old– are at high risk of serious flu-related complications. The flu vaccine can protect them from the flu virus and prevent them from spreading it to others.
- Women who are currently pregnant or plan to become pregnant during the flu season are at increased risk of flu complications and should get the vaccine.
- Caregivers of children age 5 and younger and household contacts and caregivers of adults with medical conditions that put them at increased risk.
The flu vaccineis especially recommended for people with certain health conditions including:
- Chronic lung diseases, including asthma
- Heart disease
- Immunosuppression due to medication or illness
Getting a flu shot also helps protect those in our community whocan’t get the vaccination, such as babies under 6 months of age and people witha severe allergy to the vaccine.
The flu vaccine will be available at all Shelby County HealthDepartment clinics listed below starting on Monday, September 23, 2019,during the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. at most locations. Note: theCollierville clinic is only open on Tuesday and Thursday. No appointment isnecessary at any of these public health clinics.
- Cawthon Public Health Clinic
- 1000 Haynes, 38114
- Collierville Public Health Clinic (Tuesday and Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.)
- 167 Washington St., 38017
- Hickory Hill Public Health Clinic
- 6590 Kirby Center Cove, 38118
- Immunization Clinic
- 814 Jefferson, Rm. 216, 38105
- Millington Public Health Clinic
- 8225 Highway 51 North, 38053
- Shelby Crossing Public Health Clinic
- 6170 Macon Road, 38133
- Southland Mall Public Health Clinic
- 1287 Southland Mall, 38116
For more information about influenza and the flu vaccine, visit our website: www.shelbytnhealth.com.