x
Breaking News
More () »

Carbon monoxide leak forces Buckhead residents to evacuate apartments

It happened early Wednesday morning.

ATLANTA — Several residents were forced to evacuate their homes early Wednesday morning due to a possible carbon monoxide leak, officials said. 

It happened around 2:30 a.m. at the 32Hundred Apartments located at 3200 Lenox Road when a 911 caller said a carbon monoxide detector was going off. That caller said she was dizzy and suffering from a headache.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, they confirmed "extremely high levels" of carbon monoxide on "multiple floors and units," a fire official said. 

In a statement, they said they determined the cause to be faulty water heaters.

"Firefighters shut down the gas to water heaters that serviced the entire building after determining the root of the cause was the faulty water heaters. Additional firefighters turned the gas off to a stove on an apartment unit on the fourth floor of the building and advised the renter not to use it until it is either repaired or replaced," the statement read.

One person was transported to the hospital for evaluation. 

11Alive has reached out to property management for a statement. 

Paid Advertisement