Breaking News
More () »

Memphis Fire Department: electrical failure from a light fixture caused December fire that killed 1

The two-alarm fire on Dec. 29 killed one man and injured two others at the Feels Like Home senior lifestyle residences.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The deadly fire that took place in December at a senior lifestyle residence home was caused by an electrical failure from a light fixture, according to the Memphis Fire Department (MFD).

The incident at the Feels Like Home senior lifestyle residences left one person dead and two others injured late at night on Dec. 29. 

Management spoke with the media in December to provide updates and details on the fire at their East Memphis location.

According to staff, the fire started in the room of a 72-year-old blind man, the same man who later died. 

The fire prevention system in the building had been inspected three days before the fire and was tagged-out due to low water pressure from burst pipes, meaning the system was disabled and the building had to be put on fire watch that night.

Building management also said a lack of accessibility for firefighters contributed to the fire's size, saying their fire access lane from Winchester Road to their location on Kirby Road was blocked. 

The two residents who were injured in the fire are now in stable condition, a Feels Like Home resident said. 

The Memphis Fire Department (MFD) responded to the 2-alarm fire at the Feels Like Home Senior Lifestyle Residences at the 3300 block of Kirby Road in East Memphis.

When ABC24 arrived on scene, crews witnessed several firefighters having to get suited up blocks away from the scene of the fire.  

A MATA bus driver at the scene told ABC24 that he was brought in to help evacuate residents at the facility after another bus broke down.

One firefighter was treated on the scene for fatigue and was not taken to the hospital, according to MFD. Total property loss was estimated at $1,000,000 by MFD and the contents at $500,000.


Before You Leave, Check This Out