MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Four pets are dead and five people, including a firefighter, have been transported to hospitals after a carbon monoxide leak at The Venue apartments in Midtown. All five were in non-critical condition.
Memphis Fire said they responded to a first-responder call at The Venue at 3:32 p.m. Once on the scene, a firefighter went in and started to feel ill.
Shortly after, MFD noticed dead animals inside some of the apartments and declared it a hazardous materials scene. MFD said they were able to conclude it was a carbon monoxide leak within the building, likely caused by work the apartment was doing on its boiler.
There are 160 apartment complexes at the venue, and around 250-300 residents have been asked to leave their homes until the gas levels drop.
MFD said anyone on the scene who is experiencing shortness of breath should call 9-1-1 or go to the hospital.
Apartment residents will be allowed back into the apartment building once the units are secured again, MFD said. Memphis Fire told ABC24 some of the doors in the apartment complex were forced open during searching procedures.