A Memphis firefighter was injured in a fire early Monday morning at the Edgewater Apartments.
It happened about 4:30 a.m. in the 5800 block of Edgewater Cove. It took about 13 minutes to get the fire under control. One firefighter suffered a minor burn to his hand. No one else was hurt.
Investigators say the apartments had a working smoke alarm, which alerted people inside, who were able to safely escape. They say it was caused by food left cooking unattended in a kitchen. Four apartments were damaged. The total damage is estimated at $45,000.
FROM MFD: The Memphis Fire Department urges all citizens to maintain a working smoke alarm in their place of residence. Check smoke alarms once a month and change the battery when you change your clocks. City of Memphis residents may apply for a free smoke alarm by calling the Fire Museum of Memphis at (901) 636-5650 or apply on-line: https://www.memphistn.gov/cms/One.aspx?portalId=11150816&pageId=12053796. Always have a plan of escape in case there is a fire. Also remember that 9-1-1 is for emergencies only. For NON-EMERGENCY FIRE & EMS issues dial (901) 458-8281.