Memphis firefighters battled flames at Aspenwood Square Apartments, on South Mendenhall Road, in Fox Meadows Thursday morning.
MFD says the apartment fire started around 4:30 a.m. When crews arrived, flames were shooting through the attic of one of the apartment units. MFD says faulty electrical wiring is to blame.
It took MFD about 30 minutes to contain the fire. We are told there is no danger to nearby units for smoke damage.
No injuries to residents or firefighters were reported.
(MEMPHIS FIRE DEPARTMENT RELEASE)
The Memphis Fire Department responded to an alarm of fire at 3235 S. Mendenhall Road, Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 4:29 a.m. Upon arrival on the scene, firefighters reported heavy fire visible from the two story wood-frame apartments. Rescue and Firefighting operations began immediately. Eighteen (18) pieces of Fire/Rescue/EMS equipment and approximately forty-nine (49) emergency response personnel ultimately responded to the call. Battalion Chief L. Lumpkin was the commanding officer of this incident. The fire was brought under control at 5:05 a.m. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries.
It has been determined that the residence did not have a working smoke alarm. Two units (3235 & 3233) sustained smoke, fire and water damage. Total damage is estimated at $40,000 building and $20,000 contents. The origin and cause of the fire was determined to be faulty electrical wiring in the attic area. Red Cross provided assistance for one (1) family.
The Memphis Fire Department urges all citizens to maintain a working smoke alarm in their place of residence. Check smoke alarms once a month and change the battery when you change your clocks. City of Memphis residents may apply for a free smoke alarm on-line at: https://www.memphistn.gov/cms/One.aspx?portalId=11150816&pageId=12053796 or by contacting the Fire Museum of Memphis at (901) 636-5650. Always have a plan of escape in case there is a fire. Also remember that 9-1-1 is for emergencies only. For all other FIRE/EMS NON-EMERGENCY issues please dial (901) 458-8281.