MEMPHIS, Tenn. (Memphis in May) – After weeks of anticipation following the Celebrate Memphis programming announcement in March, Memphis in May is revealing the entertainment lineup for its final May event to be held Saturday, May 25, wrapping up the month-long salute to the City of Memphis in honor of its Bicentennial.
Featuring five stages throughout Tom Lee Park, the event will offer a wide variety of entertainment options and musical genres so that every Memphian and visitor alike will find something to enjoy. Produced in conjunction with the City of Memphis, Shelby County, and Memphis Brand Initiative, Memphis in May invites all citizens of Memphis and the surrounding communities to join the FREE Bicentennial Celebration featuring the following Memphis artists:
New Ballet Ensemble
Love Light Orchestra
Garry Goin & Friends
The Memphis Wind Symphony
Chinese Connection Dub Embassy
The Bo-Keys featuring Percy Wiggins
The Lucky Seven Brass Band
Stax Music Academy
Collage Dance Collective
Darryl Evan Jones
Poets of the Word
Fresco the Label
During this celebration of Memphis, Memphis in May will attempt to break the record for the World’s Largest Picnic. To qualify, picnickers must be seated at the 1350-foot-long table, so be sure to bring your friends and family, grab your picnic baskets and help make this celebration record-setting!
The skies over downtown will be filled with activity beginning at 5:30pm as the commemorative airshow soars over the Mississippi River and the All Veteran Group Parachute Team glides into Tom Lee Park.
Beginning at 9:00pm, don’t miss Memphis’ first lighted drone show over the Mississippi River! A fleet of drones will illuminate the night sky with a variety of local images and landmarks, while coordinating with The Mighty Lights Show that brings the Harahan and Hernando DeSoto bridges to life.
And, the Mid-South’s largest fireworks show will close out the event. More than 3400 shells –some up to a foot in diameter—bursting over downtown will be a fitting punctuation to the City’s first 200 years and will literally start our next century with a bang.
Other unique features of Celebrate Memphis include:
– The Mobile Memphis Mural: show your artistic side and help us colorfully complete a graphic design wrapped on a MATA bus. Look for this Memphis Masterpiece cruising the streets of Memphis all year long.
– The Global Community Market & Expo, honoring the diverse ethnic groups that call Memphis and Shelby County home. The area will include food tastings and cultural performances from the different countries represented within the local population.
– The Family Zone: an interactive experience with activities and exhibits for all ages, including Touch-A-Truck—meet Memphis’ first responders and explore a fire truck, police car, ambulance and more.
– The Sports Zone: Memphians can engage with their favorite local teams: The Grizzlies, Redbirds, Tigers and 901FC.
– The Creative Arts Tent: pick up your paint brush and commemorate the moment with a Bicentennial keepsake.
– Join the competitive Cornhole Tournament.
Stop by the Eat901 food court for a bounty of local favorite food trucks and restaurants, and the Shop901 marketplace will be open throughout the entirety of the event, selling and displaying the talents of local craftsmen and artisans.
Gates open at 3:00 p.m. Blankets, lawn chairs and outside food, beverages and coolers are permitted for this FREE event.