Breaking News
More () »

Memphis News & Weather | Memphis, TN | WATN - localmemphis.com

MPD: Man charged with kidnapping & rape after holding two teens hostage & setting home on fire

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (localmemphis.com) –
Phennix Givens mugshot_1558614575968.PNG.jpg

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (localmemphis.com) – 

UPDATE 5/23/2019: 44-year-old Phennix Givens is charged with 2 counts of especially aggravated kidnapping, aggravated rape, aggravated assault and arson.

According to a police affidavit, a 17-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl were walking in the area of Frayser Blvd and North Watkins on Tuesday around 10 p.m. when Givens approached them asking if they wanted to make some money.  The teens agreed, but, once they arrived at a house in the 3300 block of Riney, Givens pulled out a knife.

Once inside, Givens made both of them take off their clothes.  He then forced the girl to the floor sexually assaulting her.  He forced the boy to the attic after stabbing him in the leg with the knife.  He forced the girl into his bed, then he fell asleep.  Once Givens was asleep, the girl went and helped the boy down from the attic, they escaped the house and was able to flag down a Shelby County School security officer.

When Memphis police officers arrived to the house, Givens answered the door with a knife.  He eventually put he knife down, went back inside and set fire to the house.

Givens was arrested when he tried climbing out of a bathroom window.


Memphis police say a man is in custody after holding two teens against their will and then setting a home on fire.

Memphis Police say just after 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, a 17-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl ran to the Superlo Foods near Riney St. and Frayser Blvd. The two said they were being held against their will at a home on Riney. Police say the boy had been stabbed in the leg, and the teens did not know the man before he held them hostage.

When officers reached the home, they say they found the suspect had locked himself inside, and then set the home on fire after the teens escaped. The fire department put out the flames and the suspect was arrested.

The suspect’s name has not yet been released.