Houses like the ones shut down today contribute to the growing heroin epidemic across the city.
A Memphis man shared a Facebook live video Monday of a husband and wife passed out on a sidewalk in Memphis.
According to reports, the video shows the pair after they snorted heroin in the restroom of a nearby Walgreens. The video shows people around them laughing and taking pictures.
The husband and wife were later revived by the Memphis Fire Department. The woman, who had a warrant out for her arrest, was taken into custody.
Shelby County District Attorney Amy Wierich tells Local 24 Shelby County is approaching 70 heroin related deaths so far this year.
“It is a very potent and deadly batch of heroin and that’s why so many people are dying from it. So we’ve got to do everything we can to catch the dealers and the suppliers and remove them from society, but we also have to do everything we can to raise that awareness for parents and adults out there that heroin is back and it’s deadly,” said Wierich.
Wierch says the heroin on the streets right now is cheap, easy to get, very potent and deadly.