MEMPHIS, Tenn. (localmemphis.com) – The countdown ison for ESPN’s College GameDay in Memphis. Tiger fans are super excited forSaturday’s game and they had no problem showing it Friday.
“Oooh,T-I-G-E-R-S Tigers,” sang Nick Johnson, a Tiger fan.
You have to bepumped to be on Beale.
“Go bigblue! Go big blue,” said Henry and Melissa James, Tiger fans.
For many, it’snot just a game. It’s the national spotlight on Memphis. Tiger fans aremore than excited to have College GameDay in Memphis.
“Income-wise,money-wise, and business, you couldn’t ask for a better opportunity for Memphisright now,” said the James.
Many havefollowed the team for years. Some watched from the stands.
“I rememberabout 8-years ago, I sat in the ring with about 2,000 people watching us loseanother game. They were like 1 and 10 at the time, so it’s been a long road,but this is the fruits of our fan-ship labor, if you will,” saidJohnson.
Other watched onthe field.
“I came here1988 to play football and to have dreams of what the University was going tobe, how great we were going to be, and to be able to live it and live throughthese young people today,” said Nyrone Hawkins, former Tiger player.
Hawkins had someadvice as a former player to the team.
“CoachArmstrong would always say, ‘Alright gentlemen, the first five minutes of thesecond half, we’ve got to come out like a bunch of crave dogs to get this workdone,” said Hawkins.
Anyone planninghead to Beale Street for GameDay and to the Liberty Bowl, here what you need toknow:
- The GameDay show starts at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 11:00 a.m.
- ESPN’s pit area opens at 5:30 a.m.
- Those entering the pit will be screened. That includes bag checks. Security will also check your signs.
- There’re over 4,000 parking spaces near the GameDay show.
- BB King Blvd will be closed between MLK Blvd and Peabody Place.
- U of M shuttles for students and faculty begins at 5:00 a.m. from Central lot on campus.
- Shuttles run every 15 minutes to 4th and Beale.
- If you’re headed to the football game, parking lots near the Liberty Bowl open at noon.
- The stadium will be enforcing its clear bag policy.
- The game kicks off at 6:30 p.m.