(SHELBY COUNTY D.A. NEWS RELEASE) – A 62-year-old Michigan man has been indicted for the rape of a young woman, an attack that occurred in 2004 in the Orange Mound area of Memphis, said Shelby County Dist. Atty. Gen. Amy Weirich.
Ferlin Scott, who is being held on $150,000 bond, was indicted on aggravated rape. The former Memphian, whose last known address was in Detroit, was taken into custody last week.
Investigators said that on Aug. 14, 2004, the young woman was walking in the area of Park Avenue and Maxey Street when she was abducted and driven to a warehouse area near Tchulahoma and Winchester.
The suspect threatened her with a pocket knife, raped her and drove her back to the area where he abducted her.
A sexual assault kit was preserved and in 2014 evidence from the kit was tested. A DNA profile was developed and entered into the FBI’s Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) database. In 2015 the profile was found to match the DNA on file for Scott.
This summer the victim viewed a six-person photographic lineup and positively identified Scott as her assailant.
The case is being handled by Asst. Dist. Atty. Dru Carpenter of the DA’s Special Victims Unit (SVU) which prosecutes cases of child sexual abuse and severe physical abuse of child victims; rape and aggravated rape of adult victims, and abuse of elderly and vulnerable adults.
SVU reviews child-victim cases with Shelby County’s multi-agency Child Protection Investigative Team.