A Pine Bluff family is grateful to be alive, and they say it’s all thanks to their 7 year old son, Kayden.
A family’s belongings sit exposed yet unrecognizable outside their home on Island Harbor Marina.
It’s evidence of what happened early Tuesday morning when Shana, her fiancé Alex and three kids’ lives were changed.
“We were very lucky,” Shana Cooper said.
But she believes they wouldn’t have been so lucky if it weren’t for her 7 year old son Kayden Moody.
“He’s amazing. He’s very smart, and he has very quick wit, he’s now our hero,” Shana said.
A fire broke out in Shana’s father’s room across from the living room.
Smoke filled the home, but the only person who woke up was Kayden.
“I couldn’t see anything for a moment and then I woke up my brother and I got my mom and we ran outside,” Kayden said.
Spoken as calm and collected as his mother says he acted in the face of danger.
“Above everything else he was calm. That’s the most impressive thing is that he knew what to do,” Shana said.
“For a second I couldn’t breathe when I was going to the door,” Kayden said.
But when he and his family got safely outside and he looked at the flames taking over one side of the house…
“I said, ‘Oh Lord,'” Kayden said with a smile.
While some momentos and photos were destroyed, including those of a late family member, what is still with them is the most important.
“I don’t know what we would have done if Kayden wouldn’t have woke up,” Shana said.
As young as Kayden is, his old soul says this is what he’ll always remember about this day:
“Saving my whole family from the fire.”
The fire department believes a space heater that was plugged in by not on may have sparked and caught a laundry basket full of clothes on fire, which caused it to spread.
The house is insured and the Red Cross is assisting the family.