SRI LANKA (CNN) — An elephant trampled and injured at least 17 people at a festival in Sri Lanka Saturday.
The incident occurred at a 119-year-old procession honoring the sacred Relic of the tooth of Buddha. According to CNN, one of the elephants was spooked during the procession, which startled another.
Seventeen people were taken to the hospital with unspecified injuries.
The parade continued after the incident.
- Funeral service for rodeo clown Lecile Harris draws hundreds of family, friends, and fans
- Memphis woman’s dogs stolen during home burglary
- Residency requirements, Super Tuesday, Memphis city budget, and the Memphis housing market are topics on Local 24 This Week
- Kobe Bryant memorial service set for Monday in Los Angeles
- Justice Sotomayor issues scathing dissent about immigration