MEMPHIS, Tenn. (localmemphis.com) – The man accused of shooting and killing two Walmart workers and injuring a Southaven, MS police officer in July is heading back to Mississippi to face his charges.
Friday morning, 39-year-old Martez Abram waived extradition, meaning he will be transferred from the Shelby County jail, where he was being treated after being shot by Southaven police. Abram is expected to return to Desoto County, MS sometime in the next week.
He’s accused of a crime which not only drew national attention, but extradition letters involving two governors.
District Attorney John Champion is expected to pursue the death penalty.
“We are glad we are going finally get him back to Desoto County so the process can start,” Southaven Police Chief Macon Moore said.
On July 30th, authorities said Abram shot and killed two coworkers – Walmart managers Anthony Brown and Brandon Gales. Investigators said Abram had been suspended from Walmart for showing a knife.
For Chief Moore, the deadly shooting at the busy store is especially personal. Investigators said Abram also shot and injured a responding police officer, his life saved by a bulletproof vest.
“This doesn’t happen here obviously very often, so, it shattered some lives,” Chief Moore said.
Friday’s development followed Abram challenging extradition last month. That triggered extradition papers sent by Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant to Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee, who signed them this week according to a spokesperson.
“This is a very important case obviously for us,” Chief Moore said.
As for that injured Southaven police officer, Chief Moore said while he’s recovering physically and could return to duty soon, the mental aspect of that chaotic day continues to take its toll.
“That’s a situation that young man is still dealing with this to this day,” Chief Moore said.
The Southaven police chief believes the case against Abram will be presented to a Grand Jury either this month or next month.