A worker is recovering and being treated for his injuries after suffering second degree burns to his face while working on a sewer line in Lakeland.
It happened just before 9:00 a.m. Wednesday morning in 4300 block of Mt. Gillespie.
A spokesperson with the Shelby County Fire Department tells Local 24 contractors were putting a liner in a sewer, which requires the use of a propane tank to heat the water. There was some sort of explosion from the valve of the propane tank, burning the worker.
One neighbor says she heard the noise.
“It’s sunny, it’s a beautiful morning and then I hear this… like really loud noise like a gunshot, but I know it’s not. And it rang my ears. And I was just like WHOA! What the heck was that? And then all this commotion happens,” says Angela Flippen.
The worker was taken to Regional One in critical condition. We’re told he’s expected recover from his injuries.
We’re told the worker is not a Lakeland city employee, but a contractor with a company called Layne Inliner, which was doing contract work for the city.