Memphis hospitals near top of national rankings

Local News
ST. JUDE LOGO

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (localmemphis.com) – Put another feather in the cap of Memphis-area hospitals.

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital were both near the top of U.S. News and World Report’s 2019-2020 Best Hospitals Rankings. 

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital was ranked second for pediatric cancer care. Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston topped that category.

Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital ranked tenth in the category Best Children’s Hospitals for Cardiology & Heart Surgery.

From U.S. News and World Report: “Fifty pediatric centers were ranked in treating childhood cancer. Five-year survival for leukemia-related cancers, bone marrow transplant services, programs for brain tumors and sarcomas, infection prevention and FACT accreditation (for cellular therapy) with other data collected via a detailed U.S. News clinical survey of children’s hospitals, produced 85 percent of each hospital’s score. The other 15 percent reflects expert opinion from pediatric cancer specialists and subspecialists who responded to surveys in 2017, 2018 and 2019 and recommended the hospital for serious pediatric oncology cases.”

The publication said, “Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis admits roughly 170 patients a day, an average number for a children’s center. The hospital provides patients and their families with many services, including a family resource center, book-lending library, and a kitchen in which families can prepare and share meals with their visitors. The hospital’s parent institution is Methodist Hospitals of Memphis.”

Other honors include Baptist Memorial Hospital (heart failure; colon cancer; COPD; and hip replacement) and Methodist Hospitals (heart failure; colon cancer; COPD; hip replacement; knee replacement; and lung cancer).

U.S. News and World Report said, “U.S. News estimates that nearly 2 million hospital inpatients a year face the prospect of surgery or special care that poses either unusual technical challenges or significantly heightened risk of death or harm because of age, physical condition or existing conditions,”  the report said. “The rankings are a tool that can help such patients find sources of especially skilled inpatient care.”

To be included in the report, hospitals must be a teaching hospital, be affiliated with a medical school, have at least 200 beds set up and staffed or have at least 100 beds and offer at least four out of eight advanced technologies associated with high-quality care, such as a PET/CT scanner and certain precision radiation therapies. This year, 2,241 hospitals were.”

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

What's Trending Now

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Event Calendar