Five years to the day after losing her daughter in a tragic accident, a Mid-South mother is using a national platform to educate parents.
Keisha Bowles, who now lives in Marion, AR, lost her two-year-old daughter Chance April 4, 2012, after a dresser and television collapsed on the child.
“Chance. Oh, my God. She laughed. She played. She wasn’t afraid of anything,” Bowles said.
That child’s innocence and jubilance abruptly ended five years ago Tuesday, devastating her mother to this day.
“No parent should ever have to bury their children,” Bowles said.
Bowles briefly stepped out of room in April 2012 and in that short time frame, a television and dresser collapsed on the child, an accident witnessed by Chance’s older brother.
“She said ‘I, love you mama’ and I said ‘I love you too Chance’ and maybe 60 seconds later Brandon came into the bathroom and said ‘Mama, the TV fell,'” Bowles said.
As she grieved, the loss of Chance also fueled Bowles’ desire to inform other parents of the potential risks when TV’s aren’t properly secured atop furniture.
“I would never want another parent to walk into a bedroom to see their child unconscious like that,” Bowles said.
That’s why on the anniversary of her daughters’ death, Bowles is featured in a new advertisement for the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s ‘Anchor It’ campaign.
“A TV falling on a child is like a child falling from a ten story building,” Bowles said.
The video offers tips for parents to safely secure furniture and electronics.
“A lot of times we overlook those screws and straps we put into the bag,” Bowles said. “Strap everything, strap everything.”
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, every 30 minutes on average, a child is injured by a TV or furniture tip-over, leading to an estimated 33,000 emergency room visits a year.