WEST MEMPHIS, Ark. (localmemphis.com)- A second suspect in a fatal shooting which took two lives earlier this month is now in custody.
West Memphis police confirm 23-year-old Reginald Smith turned himself into the mayor and police.
Mayor Marco McClendon said he spoke with the suspect’s mother before arranging the surrender around 2:30 p.m. on Sunday.
“Four or five days ago I had been in contact with the suspect’s mother,” said McClendon. “She explained that she heard he wanted to surrender himself to me.”
The mayor also has been in touch with the families of both of the victims who were killed.
Smith is just one of two suspects, now both in custody. They are accused in the fatal shooting that took the lives of Nathaniel Henderson and Juwuan McClendon.
Raheem Stackhouse is also charged with two counts of homicide in the incident. The shooting happened at Second Chance Automotive Repair.
The business doubled as a night spot after hours.
“The body shop was in the back, but an event center was in the front,” shared the mayor.
According to McClendon, a concert was going on for Memphis rapper Kevo Money that Saturday night, however shots rang out before the artist arrived.
The mayor now wants to help the city heal from this.
“My hearts and prayers go out to both sides their families both families are grieving,” said McClendon. “I hope our young people take the opportunity to understand that violence is not the we to solve our issues.
A curfew was recently set for those under 17 years of age in West Memphis. If those under that age are out and not working, the city says they will receive a fine.