(TDOT NEWS RELEASE) - Tennessee Department of Transportation contract crews will temporarily close a stretch of I-240 from the I-40/I-240 split through to the I-40/SR 385 split for a major bridge project for several weekends in July. The closures also impact Poplar Avenue at I-240.
The NIGHTLY closures are scheduled as follows:
- Wednesday, July 11 and Thursday, July 12 each night from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. - Poplar Avenue westbound at I-240 will have intermittent lane closures with one lane remaining open. The I-240 eastbound ramp to Poplar Avenue westbound will be closed. I-240 will remain open.
- Monday, July 16 through Thursday, July 19, each night from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. – I-240 westbound will have a lane closed and the Poplar Avenue ramps to I-240 westbound will be CLOSED.
The FULL CLOSURES are as follows:
- Friday, July 13, 9:00 p.m. until Monday, July 16, 6:00 a.m. – Poplar Avenue eastbound will be closed at the I-240 interchange. I-240 will remain open.
- Friday, July 13, 12:00 a.m. (midnight) until Monday, July 16, 6:00 a.m. – Poplar Avenue westbound will be closed at the I-240 interchange. The I-240 eastbound ramp to Poplar Avenue westbound will be closed. I-240 will remain open.
- Friday, July 20, 9:00 p.m. until Monday, July 23, 6:00 a.m. – FULL CLOSURE of I-240 east and westbound and Poplar Avenue east and westbound.
- Friday, July 27, 9:00 p.m. until Monday, July 30, 6:00 a.m. – FULL CLOSURE of I-240 east and westbound and Poplar Avenue east and westbound.
***ALL WORK IS WEATHER DEPENDENT***
A final decision for each closure will be made the Wednesday before the scheduled work.
During the closures, all interstate traffic will be detoured around the north I-40 loop and the south I-240 loop. Both Poplar Avenue eastbound and westbound will also be closed during these weekends. Walnut Grove and Park Avenue will be open, but access to I-240 will be prohibited. Message boards will alert motorists to the closures and alternate routes. Drivers are advised to plan ahead.
The project is part of a $54.1 million project to rehabilitate and repair four bridges built in 1968. Work will begin at the Norfolk Southern Railroad Bridge. The Poplar Avenue eastbound, westbound and Park Avenue bridges will be done in subsequent closures. Using expedited construction, the project will require a total closure of this stretch of I-240 for 9-12 weekends from now through June 2019. All scheduled closures are tentative, dependent on weather and project progress.
For more information on the MemFix 4 project including a video explaining the ABC process, visit the project information page at:
From your desktop or mobile device, get the latest construction activity and live streaming SmartWay traffic cameras at . Travelers can also dial 511 from any land-line or cellular phone for travel information, or follow us on Twitter at for statewide travel or for West Tennessee follow
As always, drivers are reminded to use all motorist information tools wisely and Know Before You Go! by checking travel conditions before leaving for your destination. Drivers should never tweet, text or talk on a cell phone while behind the wheel.
In 2016, the Tennessee Department of Transportation lost three workers in the line of duty. All three were struck by passing motorists. Those tragedies bring the total number of TDOT lives lost to 112. We don’t want to lose another member of our TDOT family. We’re asking you to WORK WITH US. (CLICK HERE)
A 15-year-old boy is dead after an accidental shooting in…