MEMPHIS, Tenn. (localmemphis.com) – The countdown is on for ESPN’s College GameDay in Memphis. Tiger fans are super excited for Saturday’s game and they had no problem showing it Friday.
“Oooh, T-I-G-E-R-S Tigers,” sang Nick Johnson, a Tiger fan.
You have to be pumped to be on Beale.
“Go big blue! Go big blue,” said Henry and Melissa James, Tiger fans.
For many, it’s not just a game. It’s the national spotlight on Memphis. Tiger fans are more than excited to have College GameDay in Memphis.
“Income-wise, money-wise, and business, you couldn’t ask for a better opportunity for Memphis right now,” said the James.
Many have followed the team for years. Some watched from the stands.
“I remember about 8-years ago, I sat in the ring with about 2,000 people watching us lose another game. They were like 1 and 10 at the time, so it’s been a long road, but this is the fruits of our fan-ship labor, if you will,” said Johnson.
Other watched on the field.
“I came here 1988 to play football and to have dreams of what the University was going to be, how great we were going to be, and to be able to live it and live through these young people today,” said Nyrone Hawkins, former Tiger player.
Hawkins had some advice as a former player to the team.
“Coach Armstrong would always say, ‘Alright gentlemen, the first five minutes of the second half, we’ve got to come out like a bunch of crave dogs to get this work done,” said Hawkins.
Anyone planning head to Beale Street for GameDay and to the Liberty Bowl, here what you need to know:
- The GameDay show starts at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 11:00 a.m.
- ESPN’s pit area opens at 5:30 a.m.
- Those entering the pit will be screened. That includes bag checks. Security will also check your signs.
- There’re over 4,000 parking spaces near the GameDay show.
- BB King Blvd will be closed between MLK Blvd and Peabody Place.
- U of M shuttles for students and faculty begins at 5:00 a.m. from Central lot on campus.
- Shuttles run every 15 minutes to 4th and Beale.
- If you’re headed to the football game, parking lots near the Liberty Bowl open at noon.
- The stadium will be enforcing its clear bag policy.
- The game kicks off at 6:30 p.m.